PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dodgy or legit?
Thread: Dodgy or legit?
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2017, 18:10
Jonzarno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry, but this doesn't reflect the reality of how these platforms work. Let me illustrate this with an example of a flight that I actually did via Skyuber.

The flight was from Cambridge to Prestwick leaving at 0800 with the "return" being the same day at 1600 to Biggin Hill. I got one rider on the morning trip at the princely sum of €86.65 which represented 25% of the direct operating cost. He found his own way home as my return flight wasn't convenient for him.

It didn't make me rich, and certainly didn't deprive any AOC holder of a charter as the rider was simply an aviation enthusiast who had no pressing need to fly to Glasgow but wanted to experience an airways IFR flight from the right seat, and would never have been able to afford the cost of a charter. If he really needed to get to Glasgow, all he had to do was buy an EasyJet flight from Stansted for £35.

That is typical of the flights I shared.

Whilst I accept that it is possible for people to abuse any system: I really don't see that as a reason to ban cost sharing altogether which is what those criticising these platforms are effectively arguing for. I say that because all of the disaster scenarios that they describe could apply equally to ANY cost sharing flight regardless of the medium through which it was arranged.

Last edited by Jonzarno; 29th Apr 2017 at 23:17. Reason: Currency was € not £