PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2017, 15:04
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
4. Yes, exactly. Does the contracted "scramble" time to be airborne on this SAR contract give the crews enough time to flight plan before departure? If not, did they have enough resources on-board the aircraft to flight plan adequately during the one hour transit to the search area? I guess both of these questions will also be of interest to the investigation.
I presume their callout time to airborne time is the same as UK which will be 45 mins .

Even if it is an hour, it should be remembered that they will have had to come in from home as I believe this is the norm there if they live close enough to the base.

They will at least not have to have dealt with sleep inertia as the callout was relatively early.

As to adequate flight planning - usually on a scramble you have enough time for the co-pilot to look at a map along with the rearcrew whilst the pilot gets the aircraft going and then, if the weather isn't a major factor, much of the detail can be fleshed out en route - often because you get scrambled with scant information which is updated on the way.

The cruise period should have allowed enough time to discuss the letdown so we will have to wait for the full CVR transcript (if we ever see it) and the final report to know.

I don't think there is any kneejerk 'NO' to suggestions of review but, as mentioned previously, continuous review is a fact of life in modern aviation - it is just a question of how urgently recommendations are turned into action and that often depends on money and ethos.