PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of Landing Lights
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2017, 14:33
Homsap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use of Landing Lights

I just wondered what other instructors teach in relation to the use of landings lights. i have come across a few clubs who discourage the use of landing lights because of the cost of replacement landing lights.

Personally I have come the the conclusion to reduce my risk and that of others of a midair, I teach and operate as follows, on below 1500 ft and finals, transiting through a NDB, VOR or reference point, or in a VFR low level corridor, on being advised of a radar contact by ATC, areas of military or gliding activity and finally after landing checks to include turn landing light off. The reason I do that is that an engineer once told me that what burns out landing lights or reduces their life, is lack of airflow cooling effect while taxying.

Does anyone have landing lights on a all times, because I wonder if that is a better idea?

Would someone from the UAS or AEF like to tell me what the present policy is for the RAF G115?

Would any engineers on here like to comment on the life of landing lights and the cost?