PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 29th Apr 2017, 12:53
birmingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Twist & Shout
I understand the sentiment, but what if the next rotor to detach is the other brand of gearbox with a TTIS of 35hrs?

They have taken steps they think might mitigate the likelihood of a reoccurrence, but if they don't know why it happened, they can't know if their recommendations will have any mitigating effect whatsoever.
I do agree. They can only say it is likely to mitigate the risk to some extent as per EADS and AH's view. No certainty here and as you correctly point out would have no mitigating effect whatsoever if the the accident was caused by a failure mode that remains unidentified. That's the problem.

Also agree with helicrazi when he says (a) the industry has moved on and (b) super mediums are probably the future (oil and gas fields are more automated and require fewer people). Maybe the larger cabs of the future will be mostly military.

As to the H225 Gouli also has a point - more metallurgy needs to be done but it does seem that it may simply be that the design of the gearbox has moved too close to the limits of the materials.. I'm not competent other than to ask the question but it is clear from this excellent report that those who are don't believe they have the answer either

Last edited by birmingham; 29th Apr 2017 at 13:39.