PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Mental Health
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2017, 11:36
racedo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
My problem wasn't massive compared to the issues some of today's servicemen struggle with
WRONG WRONG WRONG

Shove the stiff upper lip bit that it wasn't a big issue, that is why it is a big issue with people being decried for not manning up.

It was a big issue, it was affecting your life, your job your family hence it was a big issue.

The numbers of Ex services in jail, on the streets or really gone off the deep end shows that it is not being dealt with.

There is a fear that once you get in the system it will be used against you.

About 10 years ago worked with guy called Bob who suffered from depression, 15 years previously in the company he worked with he had time off (early 1990's). He was terrified about returning to work, knowing everybody would know and treat hium differently. First morning back he said was bad, people threading on eggs shells, by lunchtime he almost walked away.

In the afternoon CEO of company appeared and called everybody together, then straight up said "Welcome Bob back as he has been off for 2 months with depression"............................ Bob thinking WTF, I'm gone.

Then CEO said I suffer from depression and have for 20 years, nothing I can do about it but do get support when I need it, destroyed first marraige and family by not seeking help but second wife knows the signs and helps.

This was unscripted and then a woman stands up and says she has sufffered Post Natal Depression 3 times and its harder each time, other stood up as well talking about it after bereavement, divorce that they or family members had suffered.

Bob cried his eyes out going home he said, but came back next day, first time he felt he wasn't alone in work.

He said he felt company culture changed that day. He still suffered from depression but he said others giving him support helps.