PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2017, 22:11
llamaman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SASless
In order to learn do we not have to first understand what happened and to do that we have to figure out the causes that led to the tragedy?

Every single one of us could wind up as the topic of discussion in a Thread such as this one..... as long as we go flying....that is the first thing we have to accept.

If you don't get that....then you must get yourself a copy of Ernie Gann's "Fate is the Hunter" and read it very carefully and contemplate what he talks about in that Classic.
I'm not suggesting we don't look for the causes, merely that the natural human reaction to want to pin blame on someone or something is not an appropriate response in this instance.

Trust me, on more than one occasion me and my crew could have been the unfortunate topic of conversation on this forum.

I do get it and I have read Gann (amongst many others). My point is that this was a very complex scenario involving a myriad of factors that might feasibly never be 100% 'solved'. I'm coming from a perspective of understanding versus blame. I get that this ethos is not for everyone.