PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Mental Health
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2017, 22:02
Nugget90

Received 33 Likes on 5 Posts
Pilot - Peer Assistance Network

It may be that some who read this thread don't know that the UK Civil Aviation Authority is setting up a Peer - Pilot Assistance Network whose purpose is to provide a means by which commercial air transport pilots (initially, but no doubt available to other aviation communities later) can seek and obtain help in confidence when they don't know where else to turn or fear for their future if they open up to others in their Company.

Notification was made public in Information Notice (IN) 2017/005 via Civil Aviation Authority, where the objectives are explained. Whilst there are some air operators in Europe who already offer such an assistance programme, most do not, and it might be quite impossible for the smaller operators to do so. For this reason, the CAA is formulating plans to make available a peer assistance programme that will enable all UK AOC-holders to satisfy a developing EASA requirement on this topic. Insofar as confidentiality will be a key element if the programme is to succeed, it is probable that an agency separate from the Authority and from all air operators will need to be involved.

Whilst I don't know quite when preparations will be completed, I do know that work has begun to get it up and running and that those who are involved are keen to see it start. I have no doubt that the CAA will tell us, via another IN, when it is available and how pilots can make use of it.