PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON -3
Thread: MANSTON -3
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2017, 21:08
Harry Wayfarers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is depressing to find that on this forum people still hold to the misconception found in the Davies Report that Manston Airport has poor surface transport.
The reality is dual-carriageway from the airport boundary fence to the M2, M25 and beyond, with the Lower Thames Crossing soon to be added to the possibilities.
Doc,

Please don't think that I speak without experience, for years I lived and worked in Ostend and perhaps two or three times each year I would return to/from my house in west UK via Ramsgate Port, quite a pleasant drive providing that one wasn't in a hurry however commercial (truck) driving is all about time and money, drivers on tachographs etc. and perhaps that's why the port of Dover is a success and the port of Ramsgate isn't!

Also at over 9,000 ft, the Manston Airport runway can take the world's largest aircraft, indeed due to the unprecedented width, I believe for A380s it is technically more correct than Gatwick.
LOL ... We're is Spotters Corner

Doc,

The A380 was in Manston for crew training, it was empty, it had no commercial load and the B747F was probably in there for maintenance with Jet Support thus empty also, it certainly wouldn't have got out of Manston at anywhere near MTOW which is what freighters need to operate at to make any money.

Doc, I worked in the cargo airline business for some seven years during my career, anything else you would like me to suck eggs regarding?