PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S97 Raider
Thread: S97 Raider
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2017, 18:17
Otterotor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Incorrect Referenced 'By' Line

Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50 I was under the impression that the AH-1Z/UH-1Y is a true bearingless design, and it is successful. However, I suspect that if one wished to scale that up the design team would encounter, and have to account for, the loads and other issues you pointed to.
OK, thanks, appreciate the insight.

Originally Posted by Spline Drive:
There is typically an inboard shear bearing between the flexbeam and inboard end of the blade. Often a lag damper is installed there as well. The bearing transmits shears, allows for blade pitch and has some misalignment capability to handle flap and lag motions.

The successful bearingless rotor employed on the brother/sister duo Zulu/Yankee does indeed have a small elastomeric shear bearing at the inboard end of the cuff. It accommodates relative pitch motion between the torsionally rigid cuff and the yoke and reacts shear loads at that point as well. As I understand it, the name 'bearingless' is used to indicate the larger bearings used to accommodate flapping, lead/lag and the large C.F. loaded feathering bearing have all been replaced with fiberglass (composite) flexing virtual hinges. And the center of the yokes (blade station 0.0) are connected rigidly to the mast, eliminating the two bladed mast bumping (teetering rotor) flaw and delivering a significant amount of hub moment (control power) to the mast. Otter

Last edited by Otterotor; 28th Apr 2017 at 18:23. Reason: Correct the 'by' line.