PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unintended 457 consequences could ground airlines
Old 28th Apr 2017, 12:11
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
457 unintended consequences.....

The tightening it up making it harder for employers? YAY!!!!!!

The whole 457 scheme when coupled with EBA suck eggs big time.

As most of you know I am a panel beater by trade, former shop owner etc. Life choices in the last 12 months found me living and working in Mackay. Just before xmass, i decided to join the team at a local shop that is part of an almost national panel shop chain. This particular chain is a MAJOR employer of 457 guys.

I can tell you in no uncertain terms, that these 457 blokes in regional area's are doing it hard.

I felt i was being underpaid for my skills and knowledge. The managers opinion was that the foreman, could cover any missing skills in the 457's, and I was there merely to back him up. The shop was busy and understaffed. During a discussion about hiring, i mentioned I knew some people that would take the pay hit for the lifestyle.
The manager took the time to show me the figures as to why aussies were not viable.
To pay the required money for 3 aussies, he could have 5 457's, and that was based on lower money than i could earn in melbourne.

In melbourne, i can easily draw 1300 per week in hand. In mackay......or any of this companies shops, if you are drawing 900 in hand, you are pressured heavily and made to feel that you are overpaid.

I knew i was drawing a short straw when i took the job, but had the view that the best way to understand the dragon is to stare it in the eyes.

457's are kind of forced to work in regional area's, as it makes it easier for them to get approvals, but due to the sponsorship nature of the visa, allows the employers to drive down wages. They lose their sponsor, they lose their visa.

$800 for a qualified beater each week...GTFO, some of these guys are better than some aussie tradies.....easily get 1500 in melbourne.

I digress...