PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam Airlines (info please)
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2017, 03:25
Sunliner81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For your information all those FO are alredy been employed elsewhere , most of them as a direct entry captains, maybe in Airlines than you can only dream off.
Curious to know which airlines these are? I know that Whizz Air are taking FOs as DECs, but I would hardly call that a 'dream' airline.

IV flown with all of them, those guys they where constantly called to fly with some captains considered " at risk"..
I have to call BS on that one. If there are Captains who are identified 'at risk' and require special pairing with only expat FOs, this would be a logistical nightmare for the rostering department. I hope you are not getting confused with a new Captain unable to be paired with a new FO and hence a non-new FO has to be called out at last minute to replace the new FO. I can see how fact can quickly turn into fiction here. My post was to give the fact based on personal experience, as I felt that the post above mine was a little 'bitter' and the truth somewhat distorted.

The fact is, that the VN management believe that experienced FOs are not needed and are too expensive, and the current expat and local Captains are good enough to fly with local and expat Cadets. It makes no sense in THEIR minds to pay an FO 3 x the salary of a local FO. I WISH they retained the expat FOs and gave them upgrades, but it makes no financial sense for them to do this if THEY THINK that their experience is not needed.

Attitude? When someone ask you the diameter of the cable that connect the fuel truck to the plane... which kind of attitude you must have? Smile?
Yes I agree with you, as in my post I said that the interview is setup for them to fail by asking ridiculous questions such as that. Don't get me wrong, 95% of the expat FOs I think DESERVE to have been given the upgrade, its just that a small FEW (read 1 or 2) think its their RIGHT to be given an upgrade just because they have X thousand hours in their logbook, when in fact an command upgrade is a PRIVILEGE. If your going to be given an upgrade over a local, and be subsequently paid 3 x higher, then you need to be much better than the standard FO, otherwise it makes no financial sense for management to upgrade you. Sad truth really, and this is something that the agencies will not tell you.

Duty time one of the lowest you have ever experienced ? Where have you been flying before? Nigeria ? Iran?

80hrs 198 duty In March
I never get that amount of duty time per month, on average 2-3 positioning per month, mostly of 1 hour flight duration.