PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unintended 457 consequences could ground airlines
Old 28th Apr 2017, 02:42
De_flieger

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Flying seaplanes sounds like a thoroughly enjoyable job, and I've looked into getting my seaplane endorsement. The problem is, every single job ad I have seen for seaplane operators requires a couple of hundred hours on type and a few hundred water landings.

That, and most likely a wage for line pilots (not the Chief Pilot or business owner) that means that a career in seaplanes ensures you can never afford a house in Sydney and will be renting the rest of your life, with all the follow-on effects of housing insecurity and relying on a pension in retirement, make it a much less appealing proposition. Sydney? A median house price somewhere around a million dollars, with a commute taking up a couple of hours of every day, because you certainly can't afford to rent long-term close to the harbour on a GA-type wage, means you'll add a couple of hours onto every work day and then slump face first into your two minute noodles from exhaustion every night. Or do a degree in Commerce, work at a bank 5 days a week and have your evenings free, and you can afford to hire someone to fly you around the harbour in a seaplane whenever you see fit - you can even drink champagne while someone else does the work!