PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2017, 22:33
sycamore

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts
I asked a few questions,back on p61 ,#1215,but not much response until `rotorspeed` triggered the answer about MAPS.Paper charts of the area concerned.They show the lighthouses/obstructions in the area of interest and their heights .Why were they not in the database?
Why is `Google Earth so wrong with it`s height for Blackrock,..?

About Lesson 1 in basic map-reading tells you about heights of obstacles/hills/mountains/powerlines/windfarms(now).
Radar lesson 1 should tell you about it`s good points,and bad points,limitations and use of scale/shadows.

I dont` always agree with T-C but in this case I see it as a case of` we go to `Blacksod,refuel,and act as topcover for R118`,if they go u/s we may go to the F/V and do the pick-up`.Did the crew actually brief..? was it observed/heard/recorded by anyone else,for posterity..? if not ,why not..? should all briefings b/f by SAR .crews be recorded...? if not ,why not...?

If I had been asked to do it in a S-K,I`d have let down east of Achill island,under radar,2-4 miles range,to 500 ft,then stepped down to 300ft,then 200 to creep in to BLKSD ,in a -61 or a -92.

If one had been diligent before fliight and read all the notes,on p2 of the APBSS,then surely you would have highlighted `Blkrock`...? if one was going to go and do that approach pattern..? It is also marked on the MAP,,,the paper one...!!!!FFFS

This also leads me to enquire of NATS as to why maps of the UK do not show heights of Lighthouses in UK waters....answer is...? dunno,`Charting ` at NATS cannot give an answer,but will consider it....

So,I think that there was a consideration by the crew that `this was an `easy trip`,but possibly the rear crew were not fully`in the picture`,or maybe didn`t have maps/charts of that area.....

point of interest..T-C,when did you go thru RNEFTS,,,,?

Last edited by sycamore; 27th Apr 2017 at 22:44.