PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dodgy or legit?
Thread: Dodgy or legit?
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2017, 22:26
Good Business Sense

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jonzarno

Originally Posted by Jonzarno
Well I suppose I must have been the difference between "close to zero" and zero!

I still don't see how providing a mechanism for pilots and riders to share costs kills this part of the business. I would have thought it is more likely to grow it as people having done a GA flight using one of these mechanisms might well decide to take a closer look themselves.

As a point of detail: Wingly / Skyuber don't "Pocket the money on unused gifts": they never see that money. Also: are you suggesting that people not cashing in their experience flight vouchers is really good for GA?
Don't know if you are in this business - for my sins I am.

Why would the wingly method grow the student pilot numbers when trial flights and experience gift vouchers sold by a club don't - that's illogical !

When the public comes around to buying a gift voucher for a ride in an aeroplane they generally look for the cheapest price - wingly is substantially below the prices charged by clubs etc and therefore, wingly has the potential to destroy that income.

You stated categorically that wingly doesn't pocket the money. Are you suggesting that after a year and if the gift voucher has not been used wingly gives the purchaser their money back ? The entire experience industry works in this way.

and, yes it is good for clubs that people don't take up their flights - it's certainly not bad. Ask the flying club you learnt at how they get through the winter cash flow wise.