PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2017, 21:28
drugsdontwork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
So, instead of providing valuable information from a current operator's perspective, you want to flounce off because I had the temerity to disagree with your opinion.

You have seen plenty of opinions on here, many made with little or no knowledge of SAR so instead of sniping at me why don't you back up your opinion with reasons for it - yours should be far more accurate based on your experience so why not share it.

Everyone wants to know the answer to Sasless' point

For example, how do your SOPS differ and how would you have done the letdown?
I'm not flouncing off. I just don't want an inappropriate argument given the tragic subject matter. I gave my opinion. They knew they were flying over islands at 200' as the rad alt warner went off. They were in FMS route guidance, not heading which would be more appropriate if they were concerned they may hit a radar contact. The warning of an island ahead seen on FLIR did not elicit (initially) a major response. The radar was I think at 10nm range scale, not perhaps a scale I would have if I was dodging close in around targets I was concerned about. Given these facts (I only scan read the report so apologies if any are incorrect) it looks as though they were under the impression that the route the FMS was driving them along was a safe low level route. It's much more likely than obscured waypoints, radar malfunctioning etc. Just my opinion.

RIP.