PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S97 Raider
Thread: S97 Raider
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2017, 17:51
SansAnhedral

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Well for JHL, the program office actually had settled on a (quad) tiltrotor solution only - it was determined it was basically the only technology that could meet the requirements. It will be interesting to see how that develops when the program is restarted.

Specific V-22 HOGE performance are not an indictment of tiltrotors in general but more of the specific sizing requirements placed on the Osprey driven by shipboard operations. For example, V-280 is purported to have much lower disc loading and improved hover performance due to a suite of improvements in sizing and rotor control. It also comes down to doctrine, does a high speed vertical lift transport asset need to spend long periods of time loitering in a hover?

If the army saw promise in the ABC, then its surprising they chose to put zero funding towards Sikorsky's proposed XH-59B which added a ducted pusher. That snuff was essentially what shelved the concept for 30 years.

All in all, I think that the S97 is at the upper end of the feasible size of an ABC craft, and likely can dash around 230kt, but I am not holding my breath for it to demonstrate some of the severe high-G maneuvers SAC advertises. The X2 which was about half the gross weight seemingly never pulled them off. S-97 also will not achieve anywhere close to the range and cost numbers they have floated.

My theory regarding the slow progression of Raider testing is that they have possibly had some rotor component failures.