PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To Go Around or Not to Go Around - That is the Question
Old 27th Apr 2017, 11:51
BugSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To answer the original question posted by Config based on many years as a UK operator,

So few go-arounds are being executed (by UK carriers specifically) because, frankly, the SOP's are predominantly written to be stable by 1000'. We teach our crew to assess and think ahead of the aircraft sufficiently to assist in the process.

I disagree with 172's point about "rarely practiced". I would say in almost every single sim detail GA's are practiced, in one form or another. These include IMC, VMC, OEI, discontinued approach (when FCU selected Alt is below your current alt), manual flight, automatic flight and baulked landings.

I have flown commercial types that require manual only GA's (once the button is pushed) and fully auto types. I average around 1 or 2 per year and very rarely is it perfect. Is it safe, yes. Perfect, rarely.

I have had one GA from an unstable approach (briefed but didn't account for an early Rad Alt 1000) but the remainder have all been weather related. The weather scenario really is binary: you either have the correct met at decide, or you don't.

Are GA's situations in the UK being deliberately violated - by "sound" operators, unlikely. Do flights continue when they shouldn't during rough conditions? Sometimes, but that's what a just safety culture is all about (fill in an ASR, the flight safety team assess it and you chat about it if required so we can all learn). Is a GA a routine manoeuvre? Absolutely, but it is often mis-handled. Is it regularly practiced? Yes, lots.

As for the FSF report - I totally agree with the criticism cited already. A bad report with lack of genuine substance.

No, it is not accurate in its conclusions.