PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2017, 11:04
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tagron

I think you sum up the situation very well. As I said in my previous post ".... if there was airline input encouraging it then this would be moved forward again." Previously I believe Airbus were going to do trials but they dropped the idea for some reason and easyJet seem content with the current situation. One could draw the conclusion from that fact that their commercial agreement with LSA caters for the diversion situation to their satisfaction.

In December last I carried out a study of SEN RVR readings over a two day foggy period. During that time there were 57 RVR readings reported in the METARs and 86% of those were below 700m. Only 19% observations were between 400m and 700m which supports Tagron's suggestion that these were transient during periods of decreasing or increasing visibility.

My understanding of LTSC 1 Ops is that approved minima can be as low as 400m with appropriate App Lighting. I believe that SEN could currently potentially be approved for 450m with the existing lighting which, on the face of it, sounds a useful improvement. However, only 5% of RVR readings were between 400m and 500m and 7% between 500m and 600m so the number of times that LTSC 1 would allow approaches which cannot be made under the current situation would be very small.

All other things being equal it would obviously be advantageous to try to gain LTSC 1 approval but the economics of doing so may weigh against its operational advantages as things stand. For example there is not currently a wave of arrivals in the early morning but if that were to change then perhaps the subject might be revisited.