PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 loses MEL/DXB/LHR
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2017, 10:27
V-Jet

Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by DirectAnywhere
If the flying's that bad on the 787 (or 777-x) sick leave will go up accordingly. With no ADP there will be no incentive to go work if crew feel like they need a break, unlike now. If crew are starting to feel fatigued, I reckon they will be far more willing to fix it by judicious use of personal leave. What doctor won't provide a sick certificate for several days if a pilot says they're overtired? It's up to the individual to determine if they're fit to fly and the new contract provides little incentive, other than allowances, to actually go to work.
Very good advice on that note from a guy I flew with recently:

'Doc, I'm fxxked. Look at my roster. This is where my body is.. I can't safely go to XXX tomorrow'.

The problem is, guys go the extra mile and especially in your '20's you start to get used to it. Then you (well I did) see a 5 year retired but very well regarded 40 year management and exceptional training Captain (Ian T) in WSSS in transit on his way to LHR for a family wedding in tears because he got confused with gate numbers and missed his connecting (same flight number) flight. He was so apologetic and explained at great length to all of us he made a mistake because he had crossed the departure times off on his list from the bottom up instead of the top down when he landed.

And that is one story from the group of guys who first started flying SYD-LHR on jets. I know of numerous others of the same vintage with exactly the same problems. Their age? 60ish...

Last edited by V-Jet; 27th Apr 2017 at 11:09.