PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2017, 10:13
A320.b744

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mart901
Didn't EZY do Almeria a few years ago, or did I dream it?
My Travel also operated to Almeria back in the day.

Originally Posted by mart901
I think LS have played a very clever game here, launched lots of routes, gaining plenty of publicity in the process, all at low frequency during high season to markets that's let's be fair while some are slightly different for the market they are well known to work in general and fit with their holidays business. They are also making a very clear message to FR that this is their territory in terms of holiday flights. All interesting to watch, FR's response especially. I'd expect little or no response from EZY or EI who I'd guess will hold fast to what they are doing.
More than anything else Jet2 are catching up their Belfast base with their others (though BFS is still the smallest). Below are the number of bases (out of 8) that serve the new destinations.

Almeria (6), Antalya (8), Funchal (8), Heraklion (8), Malta (6), Naples (3), Paphos (8), Rhodes (8)

As you can see, 5 of the 8 new destinations are already served from all bases, so clearly this was a catchup expansion more than a retaliation to Ryanair.

Also worth noting; four other destinations are served from at least 6 Jet2 bases, so some of these could be launched from Belfast next year for 2019. Corfu (6), Dalaman (7), Larnaca (8), Split (6).

Originally Posted by True Blue
I am surprised they picked Antalya over Bodrum. Antalya has only ever supported about one flight a week, in the past Bodrum has been capable of supporting about 6 flights a week.
From next year Antalya will be served by all 9 Jet2 bases. Bodrum will only be served from the three largest bases. Given that this is their first Turkish route from Belfast, it makes sense for them to launch flights to the area where they have the larger operation, especially given that many passengers will be using Jet2 Holidays.