PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2017, 08:06
Chugalug2

Received 226 Likes on 70 Posts
Danny, great to see you back on thread and, "laptop going well tell the designer chappie". Thank you for having read my post re Hess and the links in it. As you say, young Danny was busy marching up and down again various parts of the Cornish coastline while Hess was talking with the Hitler in the Reich Chancellery mere hours before "going mad" on his demanding flight to enemy shores. In other words, Danny was doing his duty, and no doubt the Deputy Fuhrer was doing his too. My question is what about those waiting to meet him at Dungavel House? Were they doing theirs or were they treating with the enemy, ie committing treason? Was this an official peace attempt authorised by HM Government or, and more likely in my view, an attempt to go behind Churchill's back and facilitate the ill fated attempt by Hitler to "liberate" his lebensraum in the East and enslave the peoples there? We know that Halifax (Foreign Secretary) had led an attempt in cabinet to seek peace with Germany after the fiasco of the "Dunkirk miracle" but failed when Churchill threatened to resign. Now Hess turns up after the Royal Air Force has won the strategically vital battle for day-time Air Superiority over the UK, having missed his arranged reception.

On the face of it all pretty damning, and to cap it all Royal courtiers were dispatched post-haste to recover damning letters from Germany immediately after the war, which have been secured at Windsor Castle ever since. The Duke of Windsor was sent as Governor to fight the war on the Bahamas front. Even so, he had to be closely watched, especially on Wallace's shopping trips to the USA. A bad egg indeed, but any odium that he attracted was more than made up for by the immense effort put in by the King and Queen throughout the war and which probably contributed greatly to the premature death of the former.

I agree that all those then involved in the Hess affair have passed on, but the records haven't. They are still in the main yet to be released but eventually the truth, or much of it, will be known. I would suggest that there is enough smoke blowing around already to indicate a fire. We need to be aware of it, and at least to consider my question. If Hess had landed safely at Dungavel, what then was going to happen?

Last edited by Chugalug2; 27th Apr 2017 at 08:17.