PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport drop off fees
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2017, 06:43
bingofuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport drop off fees

I have just read the following on the BBC website regarding Glasgow airport joining the list of UK airport operators profiteering with their unique status.

Drivers dropping passengers off at the airport will now have to pay £2 for a stay of up to 10 minutes.
A new pick-up and drop-off point opposite the main terminal building has been opened with the old area at Caledonian Way West closing.
The airport said the new facility was the final stage of a wider scheme of works to reduce congestion around the airport's road network.
A pick-up fee has been in place at the airport since 2010.
Blue badge holders will be exempt from the new drop-off charges, which came into force at 03:00 on Thursday.
Drivers who use the drop-off area for longer than 10 minutes will have to pay more, with a £30 charge for a 60-minute wait.
The airport said the high charges were to discourage drivers from using the area for extended periods.
A free pick-up and drop-off area located in the long stay car park, with a shuttle bus to and from the main terminal, will still be available.
Do others agree with me that this is a blatant rip off by Glasgow airport charging drivers to come to the airport to drop off or collect the airport customers? I wonder how the airport would cope if all passengers decided to use the 'free drop off point' and then used the car park shuttle bus to get to the terminal. I suspect it would cause chaos.

Is this a UK thing or is it widespread througout the world? Maybe airports should be operated by the State and then private Companies could build and operate the terminals and see which of them can attract the airlines and customers by providing the best service to the consumer?