PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2017, 21:52
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
If I have read posts in this Thread correctly....118 started their first approach to Blacksod at a point much closer to Blacksod and well away from Blackrock itself.

If they in fact used SAR Modes to make an automated approach to that Waypoint then found their way to Blacksod that was just a Kilometer or two (just guessing here on the distance) then I see them doing what I would think far safer and much more in line with "modern" thinking rather than a let down in open water to find the surface then run Ten Miles at 200 feet to Blacksod as 116 did.

Visibility is an issue, whether they could see the Blackrock Light definitely is an issue.

We know they did not grasp the danger they were in re Blackrock due to its elevation and their height above the surface.

Hopefully, analysis of the full CVR will offer up the explanation for so many of the questions being discussed.

Four very professional SAR Crew Members apparently flew a serviceable and very well equipped Aircraft into terrain at night in very bad weather. Most of us look to this crew and think how it could have been anyone of us that came up short that night.....and naturally realizing that provokes a lot of questions as it should.