PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2017, 16:34
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Cnpc...it can be very different a hundred meters away.
I've flown the mountains and cliffs in Ireland for twenty plus years...Initially in gliders and now paragliders.
The Dublin and Ulster gliding clubs run an expedition to Kerry in autumn.
I considered bailing out when ridge soaring east of mount Brandon when I was engulfed in orographic cloud...a sort of flash over effect. Unfortunately I had installed an ex RAF horizon with an inverta which wasn't the fastest gyroscope to erect. I used my gps to escape.
Another wave flight I decided to jump over the northern end of mount Brandon with an orographic cloud base of 1,000ft. The mountain is 3,000 ft plus.
I tracked around 12km along the face and about 1 km out to sea...the lift closer in was so strong that I was close to VNE even at 1 km.
After one pass the mountain and sea completely disappeared as an embedded storm passed through...
Because Ireland is stuck out into the Atlantic the weather changes extremely quickly and sometimes visciously.
As to the flow around and behind the light house it could be anything...I be seen a viscous cloud similar to a microburst impacting a road in the lee of one of the Canaries...The flow around cone shaped mountains isn't nice although I have managed to soar a couple and somewhere there is a video of flows around cones.