PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Wish I Hadn't Said That ...
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2017, 15:00
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Stn Cdr calls were always scope for a jape and it probably amused them, taking them back to the days when they were Fg Offs.

Except one.

At a certain excellent fighter training station in the West Country, one of the Staff Instructors had perfected the art of phone wind-ups. One of his japes was to ring his old squadron Ops desk on the GPTN phone, then quickly call them on the AFTN phone, wait until someone answered and turn the phone handsets so that the microphone of one was against the ear piece of the other....resulting in the distant Ops desk talking to itself on an impossible connection.

But we had more than one GPTN phone on the desk. So one day he called the Stn Cdr's number, let it ring a couple of times, then put the handset down. On another phone he did the same thing to the Stn Cdr's wife. Both are now expecting the phone to ring again; our hero duly obliges, then does his turning handset round trick. The resulting "You rang me"..."No I didn't, YOU rang me!"..."Well, what do you want?"..."I don't want anything, what do YOU want?" argument went on for several minutes, getting more and more unpleasant by the minute. Finally our hero leaned over his handsets and started an evil manic laugh, then cleared both phones down.

Sadly killed in a bona jet some years later, but his humorous antics were an inspiration!