PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 2
Thread: CARDIFF - 2
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2017, 13:24
AirGuru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Severn
AirGuru,

You state there are no subsidies for this route; are you able to tell us how you know this?
Can you provide us with the same information that makes you certain that is the case?

You have been very quick (and I suppose rightfully so) to defend why CWL was chosen as the next QR departure point over BRS (and other UK airports). However, you must understand that to those from outside CWL, some are questioning/moaning (and rightfully so) why an airport which in 2016 only handled 1,350,000 passengers (20th out of all UK airports) has now been chosen as the next QR destination?
Just looking purely at statistics, the airports in the UK currently served by QR are Heathrow (1st), Manchester (3rd), Edinburgh (6th) and Birmingham (7th), all of which handle over 11,000,000 passengers per year and have a strong freight market.... CWL just seems to stick out as not aligning with the current QR portfolio of destinations, not only in the UK but in Europe too.

Currently QR serves 34 destinations in Europe, 28 of which handle more than 10,000,000 passengers per year. The smallest destinations QR currently serve in Europe are Skopje (1.7M), Zagreb (2.7M) and Pisa, Belgrade & Sofia all of which handle around 5.0M. They are all capital cities/the main destination in their own countries except Pisa, which although not a capital is a large tourist destination as well as an important city. All of these destations are served by QR's A320s (Zagreb - A321s). My personal view is that CWL doesn't really seem to fit with what is already being served, unless there has been some sort of incentive?

Lastly, I just wanted to go through your list of three points which state the factors in QRs decision. Unfortunately, all three points are not much more than theory/speculation...
1) CWL is more operationally capable for this kind of route due to the runway size?
Here we go again..... Can you explain what you mean please? Have you seen the performance data for A320/A321NEOs or the B788s? You are aware that this year and next TOM will be operating 787-8s direct to Mexico, Florida and the Dominican Republic from Bristols "limited" runway. Sure, these flights are not full with freight but given that Doha is less than 7hrs away from the UK and and Cancun is around 11hrs, so I don't know how you get to this conclusion?

2) APD may be a certain factor
Based on speculation..... Would an airline start a route before something was set in stone, especially something as important as APD...?

3) Qatari's have long expressed an interest in investing in UK infrastructure
Still theory at this stage. I see no reason why an airline such as QR would set up a route because of this? Please enlighten me someone?
Severn,

I know no more than what is in the public domain regarding this specific route at the moment, it's a piece of theory/speculation.

I also know a lot more about the Cardiff Airport core catchment and Long-Haul catchment area (Yes, they are different) than what i can openly write about on a public forum, so it's not in your interests to challenge me on that. Same goes for the entirety of the Cardiff City Region.

Cardiff has a growing prestige, and is a Capital city. The fastest growing city in the whole of the UK you know. Look at what South Wales has hosted in recent years, NATO Conference, Ryder Cup, Champions League Final this Summer ? Is it not right for QR wanting a piece of the fastest growing city in the UK ? I think not ... Who would have thought Iberia Express would have launched MAD this year ? It's the city of the unexpected as Roald Dahl once put it.

Take it for what it is, it's happening. Live with it, move on. Cheers !