PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oh My God, we almost Crashed..
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2017, 18:34
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 'I hoid a bang and I knew we wuz gonna die' story is a staple of modern aviation journalism.

An account from a DJ, for United the hits just keep on coming:

United flight to Texas makes 'terrifying' emergency landing in Costa Rica after engine overheats and malfunctions

By Chris Pleasance for MailOnline
Published: 08:32 EDT, 25 April 2017 | Updated: 09:32 EDT, 25 April 2017

A United Airlines flight from Costa Rica to Texas was forced to make a 'terrifying' emergency landing after one of the engines failed.

Jody Genessy, from Utah, said he was on the plane with his wife when the captain announced around 30 minutes into the journey that they would be turning back.

United Airlines Flight 1516 from Liberia airport, Costa Rica, to Houston was forced to turn back on Monday after an engine overheated and stopped working

Man recalls the scary moment his plane lost an engine.

Genessy, a radio DJ and father-of-four, said passengers were not told of the engine problem until after the plane had landed, but could tell something was wrong.

Recounting the experience on Facebook, he said: 'We had to fly around in circles over the ocean for about an hour to burn off fuel and [the pilot] was only using one engine this whole time, I guess.

'When we were flying in for the landing, the plane felt really wobbly. I fly a lot and something felt weird and wrong and I was already tense and everyone was nervous.

'Right as we were about to land, apparently a wind sheer hit us and with only one engine the pilot couldn't stabilize [the plane].

Passenger Jody Genessy said the plane nearly crashed as it was hit with a gust of wind on landing, but the pilot saved it
'It tipped one way and people on that side said the wing almost hit [the ground] and we were going hundreds of miles per hour at that point.

'The pilot corrected and the plane wobbled the other way and he just yanked it up and we went back up in the air.

'We all thought we were going to crash. We all thought we were going to die.

'You just think about kids being left without parents and your life ending way too early and it was really frightening.'

Speaking two hours after the plane landed, Genessy said he was was still 'shaken' and 'skittish', though thankful to be alive.

Recalling the moment the plane landed safely, he said: 'Everybody was just clapping and screaming and shouts of joy. People were praying out loud, we were just so grateful to be on solid ground.

'I fly a lot and I'm quite sacred to get back in the plane honestly. That was a horrifying experience, it makes you really appreciate life,' he added, choking back tears.

'I'm just really grateful I'm still here. Honestly I was scared to death.'

Genessy said United Airlines offered all passengers a free night in a hotel in Costa Rica, and a $10 dinner voucher.
United flight to Texas makes 'harrowing' emergency landing | Daily Mail Online