PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alitalia, again or how long?
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2017, 16:06
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to make a very very small fortune in aviation: or none at all. It was 23 years ago that Brussels allowed Alitalia a 2nd chance to create a survival plan. Alitalia Team was created. Cost cutting + selling some family silver. The losses continued. KLM had merger plans, but saw the books that were hidden under the carpet and pulled out. I think BA & Air France had a moment of curiosity and discovered the same sink hole waiting to open and gobble up any profits they might have in their own piggy bank. There have been strikes, share suspensions, partnerships & code shares with other major groups, and still.......
Basket case. I think Olympic workers tried to piss into the wind and got wet. Iberia workers tried to do a Canute and stem the tide. I would suspect Alitalia has some very attractive assets, accompanied by huge debts and ludicrously expensive working practices all the way from the top down, and especially at the top. Has Brussels been quiet on the matter, or have I missed something? They were very active in the supposedly last last very last time any government aid could be pumped in that saved Air France 20 years ago. They stopped such action at Alitalia in The Team days. Where has the money gone over the past 23 years?