PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 25th Apr 2017, 13:10
birmingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeliComparator
Much as I like to score points with SAS on the S92 vs 225, I do hope this latest isn't a sudden catastrophic failure as that would seriously scupper N Sea ops. But it does show the dangers of having pretty much a one-horse town.

Obviously we have no idea yet but if it turns out to be CFIT during an instrument approach in bad weather, it does raise the question of whether one sort of fatal accident is worse than another. I'm thinking that, e.g. the Sumburgh L2 accident could have happened to both an L2 and an S92, but not to a 225. What if this accident could not feasibly have happened to a 225?

From the pilots' point of view, we hate the idea of a sudden rotor detachment as it's out of our control. Even though the probability of a CFIT is perhaps greater, we dismiss that as being something that couldn't happen to us because we are competent. And yet it still does.

From the passengers' point of view, I doubt that such a distinction is made since either scenario is out of their control.
From what the investigators have told us would seem some form of CFIT incident is much more likely here - no evidence so far of any technical failure