PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 2
Thread: CARDIFF - 2
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2017, 22:04
AirGuru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harry Wayfarers
An interesting description ... That CWL is an airport to serve south-west England, if I were from Wales I would probably be offended whilst uttering "We are NOT here to serve the English"

Qatar also operate from both LHR and BHX so what is CWL'\s catchment area, up the A449/A40/M50 I guess Ross-on-Wye would be the cut-off point between CWL and BHX, along the M4 I guess the Chippenham turn off the cut-off point between CWL and LHR and as for the true south-west of England ... I guess Somerset falls within CWL's catchment area but for Devon & Cornwall they have the A303/M3 linking them with LHR.

I just wonder if Qatar studied a road map or an aeronautical map before deciding that CWL was to serve south-west England, it will be interesting to see what size of aircraft they may operate on the route, it will be good if it does become a viable route but it doesn't have the greatest of catchment areas.
Catchment isn't an issue, there are 1 million passengers within CWL's long haul catchment. People will come down from BHX if the price is right, same goes from the far south-west and along the M4 too.