PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying an ILS in VMC (Low hour PPL)
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2017, 15:15
Ebbie 2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My airplane has wizzy, wizzy autopilots and ILS - all I have to do it tweak the throttle.

That said - first time I gave it a go - autopilots captured the ILS about ten miles out, turned to the runway, the glide slope on the STEC at about 7 miles out, tweaked the throttle and sat back fascinated at how well it did it.

Now the big problem, I was transfixed by it, getting nearer to the runway a shortish final - now thought "how do I switch it all off and land?" - all I really had to do was push the disconnect on the yoke, was not too sure so thought I would reverse what I had done to switch it on. Meanwhile airplane is now over the rabbit lights, nicely on course - got it all switched off as I was passing over the numbers at about 20ft, throttle back, flared and landed - never again!

I think the earlier comment that if one is messing with ILS one really needs to be able to fly by instruments - even if it is daylight and otherwise perfect. I don't use it anymore, but it is worthwhile having in case all else fails - down here there aren't too many alternates so one day I may need it - now I know to just check the trim lights are out and press the button.

Must do something about getting a IR one day.