PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines pax hit with stroller
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2017, 13:21
davidjpowell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe Flyer
Every time I travelled with a stroller & handed it over at the gate, I received the stroller at the other end at the gate. This was always clearly explained to me. Logical & a great move by airlines that ensure that one is not stuggling at airports with no stroller facilities. Naturally this was always outside America where it seems hospitality & manners still exisit.
Quite a few years ago I was pretty livid at Nice when they made us check the pushchair at check-in. The plane was then delayed.

After trying to control an excited 2 year old for 2.5 hours in a large and open terminal I was well cheesed off. Boarding was proceeded with her making another break for freedom, and my grab just missing a proper hold, but enough for her to fall over and hit her head.

I don't really understand what was going on with this video - however what is clear is that there was a lack of empathy.

ETA - just read the summary. A stressed out mother, with two young kids. I think this could have been calmed well with empathy. Make sure she get's the help she needs at the other end if she will have no pushchairs etc. Sympathise etc.

I used to deal with difficult customers over the phone many years ago. By listening and showing empathy, you could always bring things down a level. Understand the problem and look for the soloution that keep everyone happy. The travel industry has got to 'stringent' in my view and staff are too used to being able to tell passengers what to do, without understanding that you sometimes need to use more people skills to deescalate minor situations.