PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA SEP Examiner sign off needed
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2017, 11:44
this is my username

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bose-x
If taken to the CAA they charge to reissue the licence. If taken to an examiner we just check the paperwork and sign the licence and they are on their way. I do it between mouthfuls of coffee. Why does everything have to be about money?
.... because for many of us it isn't like that. Phone calls / emails to see if we will be available. An "appointment" made which then has to be changed (more calls / emails) if the day doesn't work out as planned. As often as not the paperwork isn't as straightforward as it should be (flights incorrectly logged, medical out of date, previous reval not done correctly and therefore invalid etc etc) which means that the paperwork check becomes an epic, occasional stern warning about the fact that they have been flying illegally, frequent conversations about how the reval system works and what they need to do next time to avoid making the same mistakes, breaking the news to them that no, they can't now fly home ....... oh, and the only reason that I can do all this is because I have a bunch of qualifications which I paid for myself and have to pay to keep valid.

If your employer pays for your ratings and revals, and is paying for your time while you are at the airfield, then it is easy to give those things away for free.

Like i said, I don't charge, but I often wonder why!