PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France high speed RTO due to missing baggage
Old 24th Apr 2017, 06:12
andrasz

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Just like on the UA thread I find it astonishing that a debate is forming on a clear-cut professional issue. To me it is simples:

Both PM and ATC are monitoring the take-off with a pair of MkI eyeballs (in case of ATC possibly more). Both are qualified professionals, if either of them calls for reject/abort below V1 the only appropriate action by the PF is to reject takeoff, slow to a safe speed and start asking questions afterwards (and asking questions about the reason for the reject call is what this thread is supposed to be about). At/above V1 again clear, continue takeoff and ask questions later. The only difference between PM and ATC in this regard is that ATC has no access to the speed info, I would not expect a PM to make a reject call above V1.

Of course being a professional also involves being accountable, I would expect any such call to be backed up with a good story, and definitely some missing bags would not count as such. As RAT 5 mentioned above, without knowing exactly what ATC said and why, it is very hard to judge.

This being said I do agree with those posters who suggest that at some airports around the world the fundamental assumption that 'both are professionals' may be called into question, but Martinique is French teritory with corresponding standards, and the charming habit of French ATC to speak in French to F regstered aircraft could not have been a factor in this case.

Last edited by andrasz; 24th Apr 2017 at 06:26.