PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wanting to quit aviation
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2017, 02:21
Clare Prop

Received 236 Likes on 108 Posts
I think that the shiny brochure schools that offer "CPL in 150 hours" and the lure of "free money" via government loans are actually giving people very unrealistic expectations and leading to disappointment as well as a crippling debt that will haunt you for many years to come in an industry with poor start wages and very limited job prospects. I wonder how many others feel this way but haven't been brave enough to speak out.

How can any instructor can say "you will be ready for test in 15 hours time" . "You will have competed the 150 hour set syllabus" maybe, a very different thing. Another unrealistic expectation.

CPL training can be tough, I expect most of us have felt like packing it in somewhere along the way. There is no easy way no matter what the sales pitch says but taking a step back sounds like a good idea.

My advice, walk away for a bit, earn some cash and finish off non integrated if you still want to do it, don't throw good taxpayers money after bad if you have decided it's not for you. If you decide you don't want to do it then you will probably ask yourself why you didn't walk away sooner.

Good luck.