PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow noise abatement procedures
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 1999, 20:58
winglet21

Thanks again Windshear. Things have come a little further now. My airline have as SOPs to comply with ICAO B wherever there is not a published procedure.
I was looking for something like the takeoff noise procedures which are published for other airports. I read in Airline Pilot(the US ALPA magazine) that US ALPA and US authorities are pushing to standardize the procedures around the world. Problem seems to be thrust reduction altitude(800ft proposals) and steep lateral turns after takeoff.
We always takeoff at or very close to MTOW from Europe bound home.It's not very seldom that one of our guys get a letter of noise infingement.Company doesn't push hard but this, of course, is an additional concern during preflight/T.O. preparations.
I feel that Heathrow noise abatement procedures(and I don't remember any other published alike) gives room for "interpretation" as you don't necessarily know your aircraft noise level/MTOW restriction.
I remember some 25 years ago the old 707 pilots of my company used to reduce thrust and count elapsed time to comply with Kennedy(New York) noise restiction,when on Rolls Royce engined aircraft and MTOW. This was not an SOP but something developed by the guys themselves and it was not rare that during thrust reduction the stick shaker also actuated .
Well, this seems to be history and not tech talk anyway. Happy flights to you too,Windshear!!