PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow noise abatement procedures
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 1999, 21:48
winglet21

Thank you Windshear. I've been out the last few days.
My question is right about the Jeppesen/ Heathrow "10-4"page. I know that we normally should perform either ICAO noise A or B procedures or any other as "published by the State authority".
..."After takeoff or overshoot operate aircraft so that it is at or above 1000 ft AAL at the point closest to the noise monitoring terminal nearest to the departure track and so that it will not cause, Concorde excepted, more than 97 db(A) by day(0700-2300LT) or 89db(A) by night(2300-0700) at any noise monitoring terminal. For jet aircraft maintain a minimum climb gradient of 243ft per nm(4%) to at least 4000ft to ensure progressively decreasing noise levels at points on the ground under the flight path beyond the monitoring terminal...."
Is this a tipical type "B" procedure with thrust reduction/aircraft acceleration(flaps/slats retraction) at 1000ft or should I reduce thrust at 1000ft(to comply with the noise limits ) and climb with V2 + 10-20 to 4000ft to "ensure progressively decreasing noise levels" ?
ICAO doc. 8168 makes a point when to use either type A or B procedures based on noise close/further from the airport. If I'm correct assuming thrust reduction at 1000 ft, I believe that a heavy jet cannot retract flaps and slats maintaining a rate of climb of 4 x the IAS(4% gradient) and one may also take into account the wind component for the purpose of overflying the NMPs. This is my understanding and I may probably be wrong in one of these assumptions. As the procedure is published much more like a regulation than a "pilot friendly" operational guide, I would like to hear from you, the guys that do it everyday, how do you proceed on your own flights.
I apologize for such a long explanation and thanks again Windshear.