PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modern panels in vintage aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 18:08
Jan Olieslagers

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
it's a bit like 'you can't play Bach on the piano, he didn't have pianos'. Personally I play him on the harpsichord or organ; but I don't begrudge those who play him on the piano.
Hehe, that's an unexpected but refreshing parable. I think there's basically nothing wrong with playing any componist on any instrument; but I do take issue with those pianists playing Bach with a variety of sentiment and interpretation that Bach's instruments weren't capable of. I always suspect these of being more occupied with themselves than with the great Johan Sebastian, or his inspiration - never doubting their ability, though.

But what is the comparison? If flying for the utility purpose of getting where one wants to be, the style of panel is totally irrelevant. If flying for the fun of flying, idem ditto. Only if creating/recreating an aeroplane for reasons of historic nostalgia, one can - and should - aim to get it all historically right. But the plane resulting from that process might well be too precious to be actually flown.

The goal of playing music is to produce audible music, with the great added value of ad hoc interpretation by (a) human musician(s). The goal of (re)building an aeroplane is less clearly defined.

But why should we argue, or even worry? Why cannot we leave to each their own?