PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wanting to quit aviation
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 13:06
Judd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love flying but I didn't enjoy training, I did a 150hr syllabus and they managed to suck all the fun out of it. Pressure and less than desirable attitudes from some instructors/school staff can have a large effect on your mood and enthusiasm
I am not at all surprised. In your case have a good hard look at the ratio of your dual instruction as against your solo flying. Ideally it should be 50/50 by the time you reach 100 hours but it will probably more like 80 dual and only 20 solo. Much depends on your flying school policy. CFI's rarely closely supervise their junior instructors and CFI's generally don't regularly look at students progress reports and notice if the dual to solo ratio is heavily biased towards dual and if why is this so. Instructors make money on dual hours so say no more. Solo hours are always enjoyable. Dual hours not always so, depending on the quality of your instructors. Especially if they are inexperienced.

If possible consider training at a well regarded country school where ATC delays are less and the training area is close. But regardless of where you are training, you need to insist on more solo than you are probably currently getting. Solo hours are invaluable in increasing your personal flying skill, decision making and self confidence. Your early enthusiasm for flying will then quickly return.

Then if you are training at a capital city airport like Moorabbin, Essendon or Bankstown look at the ratio of ground time (taxiing, holding and run up time etc) and it is probably about 15-20% of your actual logged flight time. Yet you are being charged the same rate per minute whether flying or holding on the ground twiddling your thumbs waiting as others fly huge circuits and long finals.