PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew travel priority over paying pax?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 10:23
framer

Received 483 Likes on 130 Posts
Framer, I guess Ice Man said it the best!?
Sorry but I don't know what that means.
But I do not like often having to pussy foot around many (not all) pilot egos in my normal day ops that they think they have seniority or higher position than I do - even when the ship is mine.
I never felt like that in either of the roles so I guess it's a bit hard for me to understand.
You're on the same team, both trying to get an airworthy jet in the air in good time.
Do all your colleagues feel the same way?
Personally I need the Engineer on my side if I'm about to go flying, most of them communicate their needs clearly and in a friendly way so it's easy because I know what they need, it also gives me an opportunity to say what I need and suggest when we'll touch base again to ensure it all goes smoothly. In the past I have experimented with phrases and greetings and ways of communicating with all different types of staff I rely on and you really do get different results by bringing different attitudes to the many relationships we have to develop during a work day.
Worth a play around?
This is often evident when a Chief Pilot will bring in a new pilot or one getting a new endorsement, grab the flight manual and then sit in both front seats during maintenance. With not a prior word or warning to myself or others.
Yep that is rubbish. Like I said though, my experience is that both groups ( pilots and engineers) are an even mix of the personalities you'll come across in broader society, dicks in both roles are in the minority.