PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting Out - Advice
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 08:36
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power flying is very expensive

The original poster of this thread was being advised not to pay for an entire course up front because flying schools can close down, and often do.

And he was advised to get his aviation medical up front just in case there was any problem with his health, before he had spent his money on flying lessons.

Excellent advice. And PA28181 of London who has experienced glider flying, and didn't enjoy it, commented that "gliders don't go anywhere except around in circles" and "you can stand around all day freezing". I think the flights I have mentioned that took place at Shenington on Monday and Tuesday, of more than 600 k, would indicate that gliders certainly do go places, if you are good enough.

James Grainge on post 31 asks "do glider hours count toward the PPL"?
They used to, in the UK, when I got my PPL I had a Silver C cross country in gliding, that's 50 k, and only needed a few hours of power training, so saved a lot of ££ doing it that way. I am not sure what the regulations are these days....
In the US of A, glider hours DO NOT COUNT! Or they didn't when I presented them as part of my UK PPL to the GADO in Orlando....fortunately the official kindly gave me an American license anyway, and I did the IR in Texas. The only thing in flying power that gave me a problem was RT.