PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mil Pilot - Nature or Nurture?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 00:56
SpazSinbad

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
My own training experiences are long ago with some expression of them in the 'RAAF 50th Anniversary' thread. http://www.pprune.org/military-aviat...h-reunion.html Interesting to me today are the new ways of RAAF training thusly COACH: 10 Apr 2017 (HEAPS more BUMPF at JUMP)
"...[SLDinfo] The RAAF has adopted a new approach, addressing physical, mental and cultural changes as the key means to get these results.
Air Combat Group Commander AirComm Roberton:
“Innovative training is about taking more of a coaching approach to the task. It is also about giving our trainees the mental and emotional tools to cope with the stress and the challenges to a better job of self-improvement as well.”

He argued that the sports business has provided a number of tools which the RAAF has adopted for fast jet pilot training, including a physical endurance training approach to handling G tolerance.

“It’s a change in mindset of our instructors as well. Some of our instructors now are involved far more in a coaching role, as opposed to just straight instruction.

“They are looking at helping pilots go though the process with far less of a ‘testing mindset’ as their primary focus of attention. [Caught me out a few times 50 years ago now] If you take the testing mindset out, people learn at different rates and you can accommodate that basic reality of teaching and learning.”... Shaping Cultural and Generational Change in the RAAF: The Perspective of Air Combat Group Commander Roberton | SLDInfo