PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mil Pilot - Nature or Nurture?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 18:52
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,651 Likes on 755 Posts
ORAC ... ISTR around that time there was a bit of an 'instructor attitude problem' too. Where 'chopping' was the flavour of the day? Or was that just a nasty inter-Branch rumour?
Not having instructed at the School I couldn't say - but as the LEO on unit who received the output, the standard was not particularly high.

Perhaps the major problem was that we were still teaching to the close control standard required for the Lightning which was still in service, and it was very demanding, whilst the airspace was becoming more and more congested. In comparison with the F3 era when the jets have far more SA due to data links, there were far less sorties and the job was far more assigning targets and coordination with air traffic, the jobs were almost totally different in comparison. Of course at that time you couldn't tell where you'd be posted or what you controlled at your home unit or on detachment, so everyone had to be able to do it.

Before I left close control had been dropped from the basic course and was taught as an add-on for experienced controllers for tours where they might need it. I imagine it is now just a distant memory.

Memory - U26A intercept Tgt M1.6, Ftr M1.8, 180 degree intercept with 26nm offset for conversion to a 90 cross ahead 8 miles with 1nm roll-out - and a radar with a 15 second rate of rotation, whilst coordinating with LATCC and Eastern on the traffic around, and trying to complete as close to the Binbrook dive arc as possible, whilst trying to maintain 30mm from the coast. The only advantage being the Ltg didn't have mode C....

Last edited by ORAC; 22nd Apr 2017 at 19:16.