PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tell us the story of your first solo
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2017, 21:44
skyhawk_norway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I soloed after about 20hrs, and was quite nervous. Went to a narrow 800m airstrip, did some T/Gs with my instructor and then he jumped out and asked me to do 3 takeoffs and landings, and I could choose if I would like touch and goes or full stops.

I decided to make nr 1 a full stop, and if everything was going well the next one should be a touch and go.

The first round was fine, and I remember I was surprised how light the 172 felt Backtracked and went for another round.
The second landing was a greaser as well, and full of confidence I somehow "blacked out" and pushed full power before reducing flaps to 10.
The aircraft, still in a fast roll, jumped into the air, pitched up and banked quite a bit to the left..
I dont remember the details what I did, but I managed to hold the the nose down, build up some more speed and then perform a kind of ugly missed approach take off, and reducing flaps.

Did the last round in the pattern and landed OK.. a bit shocked over the events, but happy that I had developed some instincts regarding keeping the nose down and stay calm. My instructor didnt think it looked -that- bad, though

So, lesson learned.. and a day I will always remember.