PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any news anyone ?
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2017, 16:14
Forfoxake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I raised this matter with an atco at an airport within Class D airspace a couple of years ago when these SERA changes were first due to be implemented. I was told that a special VFR clearance was extremely unlikely even in unlimited visibility if the cloudbase was below 1500ft. I thought that this would effectively stop VFR flying in Class D in perfectly flyable conditions.

Fortunately, implementation of these rules was deferred by the CAA at that time but it looks like they are now to be applied.

However, on reading them again, it now appears that they might only apply to the ATZ. Anyone got any comments on this?

On possibly a related note, I was recently told by a former airline pilot operating from a private strip 5 miles away from the aerodrome in question that atc are now telling him that that the met conditions will be determined at the aerodrome controlling the Class D airspace. Previously my understanding was that it was up to the pilot to determine whether the in-flight conditions complied with the VFR rules for the type of airspace the pilot was flying in. If this change has occurred. it means that, for instance, the controlling aerodrome could be covered in shallow fog (as often happens) but the pilot would be prevented from flying from the private strip even if it is completely in the clear!

If this is the case, VFR flying within Class D airspace will be severely restricted after all.

Anyone got any comments before I query the matter through official channels?