PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2017, 15:49
ICM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Continuing from the above, if Sanna can send PMs then I too would love to get contact details from him.

I've obtained a section of the 272 Sqn record and it shows that it became known on the squadron on 7 January 1942 that George had been commissioned. This news had presumably been 'in the wind' for some time beforehand so, noting Frank's postwar surprise at this turn of events, I can only surmise that Frank was already a POW by then. (Might we be allowed to know his surname? If he was shot down after 1 November 1941, I might be able to add a little detail.) George himself became a POW almost exactly a month later. Flying with the then CO, Sqn Ldr Hoggarth, he was in one of 4 aircraft tasked against shipping in the Gulf of Sirte on 9 February 1942 - nothing was seen and they attacked a German Repair Unit camp. However, George's aircraft and another did not return and he went on to be an early POW (Serial No 30) in Stalag Luft III. He was a Flt Lt by the time of his release in May 1945 - and it would appear that Frank and he did not come across one another whilst in captivity.

Last edited by ICM; 21st Apr 2017 at 15:51. Reason: To add a date.