PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2017, 11:23
gulliBell

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nigel Osborn
Unless it's changed in the last few years, the RAAF SAR helicopter has a co-pilot.
The RAAF SAR aircraft are single pilot capable, right? As far as I know they are fitted with the Honeywell SPZ-7600 autopilot system with SAR option, which is certified for single pilot MOT operation, right? I suspect the co-pilot is required by the client, not by the configuration and equipment in the helicopter? Unless on NVG at night. I'm trying to contemplate the step up from that simple installation to that which was fitted to the accident aircraft, which I'm to understand is considerably more capable. The difficulty I'm grappling with is capability, how it is that increasingly capable aircraft are showing up in accidents more than less capable aircraft. Or so it seems. As capability increases it seems that life for the pilots is being made more difficult, not less. Or is automation making life too easy for the pilots and they aren't remaining alert enough to keep up with situational awareness?

My opinion on which pilot should be monitoring and which should be flying during any particular stage of flight should entirely be the prerogative of the PIC, and not enshrined in SOP in any way. There's no way to sugar-coat it, but the PIC is ultimately responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft, and the final disposition of it.