PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2017, 02:25
sunnywa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it is worth, I believe Goffers is more correct in the crew set up. In our SAR Cab, the PIC is the PM(PNF) and the co-pilot is the pilot flying. However, in reality using the 4 axis autopilot, the PF is monitoring the flight path and the system to make sure it doesn't throw a wobbly and the PIC/PM is the person who is monitoring the radar for clearances, if needed, telling the PF that he is about to turn the heading bug (and does alter the heading) (to avoid something or track somewhere), keep SA on the job, put in the search pattern, activate it etc, control the SAR modes (APP1,2 MOT etc). In effect, the PIC is controlling the flight path and keeping a better SA to complete the job with the PF is sitting there scanning to make sure what the PM says is going to happen is happening in a safe manner. The PF is doing nothing but scan. With NVG, they also scan (minimally) outside.

DB, if you want me as the PIC to be the PF and control the aircraft, while keep SA on everything, sneak a peek at the radar to make sure nothing is happening, then you are giving the PIC about 90% of the workload in this ****ty environment. I personally think that is too much, and, while this was not a factor in this accident, now put in an inexperienced (but competent) co-pilot.
Preparing to receive........