PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I am about to take the leap
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2003, 23:56
Notso Fantastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I am reaching for the Exit door (OK, they're going to make me go off and spend more time with my pension), I'd caution you to be aware. This is an industry where you pay a King's ransom for your training, where it can be near impossible to get a job without experience, where the money is fast evaporating in the mists of an overworked haze- a definition of the job is 'a treadmill with a view'. Enjoyment of flying is now so curtailed by overwork it spoils the job. Looking back, maybe I would come into it again, but I know other places would have made me far richer- Banking (something I considered a fate worse than death), property development, investment. Travel is lovely and I have seen so much, with so little time to enjoy it, and falling asleep in the day and wide awake at night. We're not poets- it is very hard and exhausting, and the unemployment queue is so close all the time, and it all hangs on the thread of that 6 monthly medical. If you are determined, give it your best shot, but there are better places to make the investment in time and energy.