PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2017, 20:32
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Cnpc, for a start, the moving map, the paper map and the EGPWS do not matter once you are 200 feet in the dark over the sea.

All the matters is the RADAR, followed by RADALT. FLIR would help. NVG they did not have.

So you ask me the question. I answer. I would have the PF flying AND fully controlling the helicopter. I would have the RADAR image on the PF and PNF MFD.

It the Radar was correctly tuned. PF sees target. PF announces target and makes a correction to the trajectory. PNF concurs. The simplest, quickest smartest way to operate a third genearation helicopter at night. In addition the Commander would be PNF and the Co-0pilor PF.

I absolutely vehemently disagree that the PNF should have any control of the aircrafts trajectory UNLESS the PF becomes disorientated. It's f****ing madness to have the aircraft and AP modes being controlled by two people. PNF pre-selects, PF checks and Authorises. Once the mode is engaged PF drives the helicopter by knobs or trim switches, or if warranted, flys through. PF totally responsible for the aircrafts trajectory, coupled or uncoupled. PNF monitoring the trajectory and the FMA indications.

It's gobsmacking what people have just posted about automation. Surely even the most mentally deficient can understand that pissing about with silly over complex INAPPROPRIATE AUTOMATION SOPS almost certainly was the last hole in this Swiss cheese.

Geoffers, all I can say is you are not taking your guys in the right direction. Please re think it through. If you PF is miselecting then more training required. But you cannot have the Helicopter trajectory shared between two people.

Last edited by DOUBLE BOGEY; 20th Apr 2017 at 21:00.